Welcome to the
Board of Education
Reform Framework - Core Beliefs
The Board of Education holds six fundamental beliefs about its students, staff, schools and community. These beliefs animate the work of the school board as policy makers and inform the staff, schools and community about aspirations for Denver Public Schools.
ALL STUDENTS CAN ACHIEVE AND GRADUATE. We believe that all students can learn at grade level or higher (no excuses), make dramatic gains in student achievement, reach their full potential and graduate prepared for success in life, work, civic responsibility, and higher education. We believe this is true for all students and is not determined or limited by race, family income, native language, gender or area of residence
- Learning. We must build a strong standards-based culture of learning across the district by promoting, supporting and expanding the most effective academic opportunities for each student every day, every year.
TEACHING AND LEARNING IS THE TOP PRIORITY. We believe that ensuring that the most effective teaching takes place in our schools is our number one responsibility and priority as a school district.
- Teaching & Leading. We must retain and recruit the most effective teachers and principals, and we must develop and support them so they are able to implement research-based best practice in every classroom and school.
LEARNING, LEADERSHIP, AND ACCOUNTABILITY FOR PERFORMANCE BY ALL ADULTS MATTERS. We believe that creating a district-wide culture of learning, leadership, and performance will best ensure the ability to build and maintain optimal conditions for student learning in every school, thereby bringing achievement to scale-greater achievement gains in more schools-for all students across the district.
- Performing. We must use data to inform decision-making at all levels and empower teachers, leaders, and others to perform at high levels while holding all throughout the system responsible for improving the academic results for all students.
CHOICE, COLLABORATION, AND INNOVATION ARE KEY TO 21st CENTURY SUCCESS. We believe that developing new, innovative approaches to teaching and learning in current and future schools will lead to a rich and compelling array of educational options, promote the acceleration of student achievement gains, and give Denver children and families high quality choices for learning and success in the 21st century global economy and community.
- Innovating. We must develop new, innovative approaches to teaching and learning in our existing and future schools by offering incentives, giving schools more autonomy, expanding choices, and building the capacity for innovation.
ENGAGEMENT OF PARENTS, FAMILIES, AND COMMUNITY ARE ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS OF A QUALITY EDUCATION SYSTEM. We believe that parents and the community are essential partners in the effort to improve student achievement and that it is our responsibility to engage them in that process.
- Engaging. We must develop new and more effective ways to engage our families, members of the broader Denver community, and partners in improving the conditions for learning so that all students may achieve.
SYSTEMIC REFORM REQUIRES INCREASED CAPACITY, EFFECTIVE CHANGE MANAGEMENT, STRATEGIC USE OF RESOURCES, AND ONGOING COMMUNICATION. We believe that raising and accelerating achievement for all students requires optimal resources, a high level of capacity in schools and at the district level, implementation of effective change management strategies, and strategic management of all resources.
- Resourcing. We must ensure that all resources and the operational infrastructure of the district are strategically aligned and optimally managed to support the differentiated needs of all schools to build the capacity to accelerate and sustain achievement results.